Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Taylor Swift

I hate to be a crank about this, or seem obsessed, but that girl is everywhere. Idaho Falls has 5 country music stations within earshot, and I've had the recent experience of having her on 3 of them, and Carrie Underwood on the other two, all at the same time. I think Taylor is fine as a songwriter, but I long to hear someone else sing those songs. Not Carrie. Someone ELSE.
Then, I go home last night, and the CMT Video awards are on (quick question: do those folks actually feel like they won something? Or are they as vaguely embarrassed to receive a VIDEO award as I am to watch it?), and Taylor Swift performs live, once with Def Leppard (Poor Some Sugar) and once alone. And.She.Is.Terrible. It's like watching an 11-year-old perform at a talent show. She weaves around the pitch like a driver with 12 beers around the center line. And her stage presence is cringe-inducing. Like she is doing a parody of a parody of a rock star. And boy, is she gangly.
Don McLean was wrong. YESTERDAY was the day the music died.

No comments: